Monday, June 7, 2010

14 Interesting Miles

This evening I drove my motorcycle down to an address near Central Ave and Lowry Ave. (ie N Mpls) I was delegated by my father to stop by and research a sail boat he is thinking of buying. Of course, my co-worker felt the need to tease me regarding my safety and if I would be packin... I assured him I would be going during the daylight hours...

Well after looking at the boat, which by the way looks very promising, I decided to do a little sight seeing. By this, I mean that I decided to take Lowry to University to Broadway to County Rd 9 to Larch... (ie skip the highways)

It is a fascinating drive if you are interested in diverse people, places, communities, businesses, etc. I believe this because every one of these subjects changes as you drive. Starting in the traditional / stereotypical N Mpls neighborhoods, passing some of the Mpls re-development, passing the diverse businesses on Broadway, passing the empty buildings, passing N Memorial, passing through the Robbinsdale, Crystal and New Hope communities, and then entering the newer traditional / stereotypical Plymouth/Burbs...

The diversity benefits and challenges are very visible on this 14 mile drive. We just need to remember to look, and remind ourselves that everyone you see is human and trying to do the best they can.

Any advice for this farm boy suburbanite if I go down to pick up the boat?

Other tourist areas I should check out?

4 comments:

John said...

After thinking about it, I think the following statement was not quite correct...

"We just need to remember to look, and remind ourselves that everyone you see is human and trying to do the best they can."

It should read.

We just need to remember to look, and remind ourselves that everyone you see is human and trying to do the best they believe they can.

The reality is that many people are trapped in situations of their own construction. Unfortunately, they truly can not escape these until their perspective changes and hopes grow.

Since their beliefs are their reality, maybe the first quote was correct after all.

Thoughts?

John said...

A comment from my friend Jason on Facebook:

NE Mpls Arts

There is a big difference between central/lowry and the area west of 94 on broadway

And my response:
I am not certain how different the areas are... Here are the demographics for the Edison Heights High School which is right in the area.

Edison Heights Demographics

34% English Proficient... See More
87% Free and Reduced Lunch
63% Graduation Rate

I am not sure there are many neighbors that are this impoverished.

R-Five said...

You need to get out more! There are all kinds of interesting places in Mpls, every area.

I'd suggest you check out the Stone Arch bridge, which is featuring an Art Festival this weekend. It's an old John J. Hill Railroad bridge converted to pedestrian use, beautiful views of St. Anthony lock and dam.

But back NE - Modern Cafe!!!!

R-Five said...

You need to get out more! There are all kinds of interesting places in Mpls, every area.

I'd suggest you check out the Stone Arch bridge, which is featuring an Art Festival this weekend. It's an old John J. Hill Railroad bridge converted to pedestrian use, beautiful views of St. Anthony lock and dam.

But back NE - Modern Cafe!!!!