Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Romney Immigration 2 Step


From G2A The Decent Wage

"I would love to plan for the long term, but in this political environment, that's not possible, or at least it's useful. The other day, when Mitt Romney talked about his preference for long term solutions to the very short term problems of young immigrants, he was showing a remarkable naivete about both the actual needs of our people, and what the capability of our political system is in addressing them. Made me wonder if the guy even watches the news." Hiram


Given the mixture of opinions regarding this topic within the Conservative base alone, I am happy that I am not Romney.  As stated in the last post, this is a topic where the Rights and Lefts seem to mix often.

I was wondering though if Hiram was talking about "immigrants"  or "illegal immigrants".  Being a Law and Order type of guy, it still frustrates me when people want to reward people who budged in line by jumping the border or over staying their legal welcome.  Kind of like those folks that merge at the last possible minute...

I feel for the legal immigrants who waited and paid their dues to be met by lower income jobs because the budgers are helping to keep the pay low for those entry level jobs.  We seem to forget that consequence.

CNN Romney, GOP Struggle with Immigration

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In this specific case, what bugs me is that people would deny children an education, and the protection they need and deserve from our society. And it bugs me that people think that they can wait. Kids cannot wait. They need to be fed today. They need to go to school today. They need the protection our society gives them today.

I have talked often enough about the wonders of long term solutions myself. If we could implement them, they would be truly magnificent things. But experience has taught me that in our current political environment, they are simply not possible, and those that press for them are simply ducking the problem, something in this case, has some of the worst consequences imaginable in both the short and long terms.

Isn't the point of Mitt Romney that he is supposed to be able to get things done? If that is really and truly the case, why isn't he able to tell us at all what he even thinks or what he would do?

--Hiram

John said...

Tell me more about this statement, "people would deny children an education, and the protection they need and deserve from our society". Which kids? Who would deny? How would they deny them?

I seem to agree that our culture and political system does not seem conducive to implementing disciplined long term solutions. It seems most don't want to sacrifice or work harder. They seem to always want someone else to take the cuts or pay more taxes.

As a Project Team Leader who spends every day working with multiple diverse groups of employees who have been tasked with solving some problem, I am uncertain how black/white a President should be regarding their agenda. Of course my scope is much smaller and we expect consensus to be reached in the end.

However, I could see the position of President as a hyped up Project Lead / Facilitator. They have to have some idea where they want the team to go and how to get there, yet they have to give the team some latitude to resolve the details. Since their "position authority" is rather limited in may ways...

If I walked into my first team meeting and told everyone the "solution", their backs would go up and I wouldn't get anywhere with them.

Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Children of illegal aliens.

John said...

Hiram,
Assuming that was you answering.

Why would we Americans be responsible for feeding and educating folks who are here illegally?

Should we then take responsibility for those in other third world countries? They have children also. Many of whom die every day. A sad reality...