Monday, May 18, 2015

Methods: Carlson vs Dayton

 I think I found another group beyond Ed MN that supports free pre-school.  MinnPost Methods
"A simple honest question: We all want the "at risk" kids to succeed. The affluent kids are for the most part already in these programs. There's a large gulf between "at risk" and affluent, populated by lots of kids whose parents are making very large sacrifices to ensure their kids get access to these sorts of programs. They aren't being subsidized to offset the cost and they don't have the bankroll to pay it without a thought like some.
Why don't these families matter?  
Why should the tax savings come at their expense?  
Why shouldn't the schools be expected to educate their children?  
I could care less about what demographic is needed for political support or how big change is scary. These, my own included, are people's lives and children's futures. Somebody please explain to me, we advocate these programs because they are so beneficial for those that attend, either through stating the need for scholarships on the poor end, or by enrollment of kids on the rich end (a simple drive down a suburban road will show the obvious demand among the affluent), but yet for everyone in between we say, oh well, it's nice if you can do it, but we're really not interested in providing a reasonable way for you to afford it. It's utterly mind boggling. Why? Why don't my kids matter?" Matt

"Our local in school pre-K program is called Creative Play, and it does have a sliding fee scale. And regarding your comments at this other MinnPost article.

What are your thoughts here? How much exactly should society pay for the child (ren) you chose to have? I assume you get the $1,000 / child tax credit that phases out for people who make more. I assume you get the $5,000 dependent care tax deduction. (ie Flexible Spending Account) For many people, society pays to feed and provide healthcare for their children in part or in whole.

I have a child in college, now that is really expensive. Should I be asking for someone else to pay for her education costs? I don't think so, therefore I am still driving my 14 year old vehicle and painting my house myself. I chose to have 3 kids and they are my responsibility, not society's." G2A
Thoughts?

6 comments:

John said...

Though I may sound cold in my response. Please remember:

"Please remember that this is pre-school... Not Harvard... You are working on social, fine motor, large motor and some academic skills. Not teaching them to do algebra and read fluently." G2A

If a child is developing social skills in a reasonably controlled and proper childcare setting, there is no excuse that the Parents can not complete the other development on nights and weekends.

I am curious what magic Matt thinks these pre k's perform. I am real close to one and have had kids in 2 others.

John said...

MDE Screening Page
Kindergarten Checklist
Another checklist

Unknown said...

I would have liked more financial aid given to my son (who by the way graduated today from Carlson school- yay!) thankfully, his grandmother kept him from going about $40,000 in debt.

anyway, I support society contributing to the costs of raising children. The 6 children in my neighbor's family will all be contributing to my retirement.

I would like universities supported to a greater extent by taxes to keep tuition down. All the grauduates who go on to make a comfortable living can contribute to the next generation through taxes paid rather than pay student loan debt.

about pre K I agree with you that it is not necessary for public schools to provide it. I think I would give all families of preschool children either scholarships or greater tax breaks.

John said...

Society already pays a ton of money into early ed, K-12, higher ed, job training, student loan subsidies, tax credits, tax deductions, grants, etc. Plus all the food programs, healthcare subsidies, free childcare, child tax credits, etc, etc, eyc...

How much is enough? If society pays, how much control should they get?

Number of kids are acceptable per family? What the college students study?

John said...

Congratulations regarding your son !!!

Anonymous said...

Why don't these families matter?

They do. That's why we pay for the public schools their children attend.

Why should the tax savings come at their expense?

It shouldn't. We shouldn't use cuts in school budget to pay for other things.

Why shouldn't the schools be expected to educate their children?

We do have such expectations.