Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Look: No Horns, Tails or Forks

Well, I went to the Community Solutions MN meeting and was quite pleased. Here are some thoughts:
  • I felt safer since there were no attendees with horns, tails or devil's forks... Just people who want their communities, schools and children to succeed.
  • I was pleasantly surprised that Dr Sicoli sat in, listened and made a few general comments regarding education policy in Minnesota.
  • I was disappointed as usual by the low attendance / citizen engagement. 70,000+ adult citizens in the community and ~15 were present. Hopefully it will grow.
  • I think it will be really hard for the diverse group to develop a common educational concept / platform, however the dialogue will definitely be beneficial to all who attend. You may find this surprising, however I think the majority were much more "fine arts good / every child is unique/ std tests bad" than I am. (ie oh no... maybe I am a "Conservative")

Overall, it was an enjoyable learning experience.

2 comments:

R-Five said...

I really enjoyed the session, but as you said, turnout was disappointing.

On the other hand, the world is run by those who show up.

John said...

Excellent point and oh so true the way American politics work...

Thank heavens for being part of a living democracy that we have the privelage and responsibility of working to influence !!!

Hopefully more will join the group next time... Thanks for the reminder !!!