Friday, July 31, 2009

RAS Transitions - Realistic Expectations

My current read is "Emotional Intelligence" by Daniel Coleman and it is excellent. I am certain that some of my readers would agree that I really "need" this book, and I whole heartedly agree. My "Strength Finder" top 5 are Learner, Communication, Connectedness, Analytical and Achiever. Therefore I always have to work hard to be somewhat proficient at some of the softer categories like Empathy, Relater, Harmony, etc. Well more on the EI book later, however here is the paraphrased point from the book that I am interested in today:
Anger is often a result of unrealistic expectations
With so many RAS families and staff undergoing significant transitions. I think it may be worth discussing expectations. Now the theory I am posting is purely based on math, so please don't read too deep into it with regard to my motives. (ie remember I am analytical and like math)

Imagine that 2 schools merge. Each school has approximately 100 unique yet similar "features" (ie traditions, volunteer positions, fundraisers, parties, methods, etc) that make up the culture / school. Here are 3 variations and a simple math generated potential solution for each.
  1. School A has 10 students and School B has 990 students. Expectation by ratio: 1 School A "feature" and 99 School B "features" exist in the new School AB?

  2. School A has 200 students and School B has 800 students. Expectation by ratio: 20 School A "features" and 80 School B "features" exist in the new School AB?

  3. School A has 1000 students and School B has 0 students. Expectation: 100 School A "features" and 0 School B "features" exist in the new School AB?
I envision example 1 to be a group of new families joining an existing school. Example 2 is typical of what many RAS schools are experiencing. Example 3 describes the RSI move.

Now this assumes that both schools and their features are equivalent in all ways. This means they may be different, yet they are equally capable. Just a matter of preference and what people are used to.

Though reality is much more complicated since people are involved with all their hopes, beliefs, nostalgia, dreams and fears. This would be a math generated rough level setting, and I propose that there will be excessive conflict if people pursue "quick changes" that are significantly different in magnitude. My rationale is that most people like stability and are comfortable with the "features" they are accustomed to.

I am certain and hope more long term changes will occur as the populations merge and new better ideas are generated by the new combined population. My belief is that it will be better for the schools and students if everyone starts with an open mind and realistic expectations.

Thoughts?

No comments: