Thursday, July 1, 2010

Help Support Northport Elementary

Whether you are in the district or not, please take a few minutes to get a kaboom user id and become a fan of this project. Also, please tell your friends and have them help. Patrick Smith is an incredible Principal and the Northport kids would certainly appreciate your help. Thanks John

Ps. The more support you show... The more points they gain... So add comments, photos, etc...

Note from Patrick:
Help Northport Elementary School get an eco-friendly playground upgrade!

Please become a fan and pass on to everyone you know. The more fans we get, the better chances to win the grant.

Become a fan of Northport Elementary School and help it win an Imagination Playground in a Box from Underwriters Laboratories and KaBOOM! Use the map at the link below to find and click on your favorite playspace. Then enter it in the running by becoming a fan! http://playspacefinder.kaboom.org/playspaces/83741-northport-elementary-school

Patrick Smith, Principal
Northport Elementary School
patrick_smith@rdale.org
763-504-7801

Links
Northport Web Page
Northport Demographics

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I applaud the principal for trying, but not a chance will I support the school. The school should be torn down and the kids bused elsewhere. Maybe scores would go up in the district if the kids were at new schools. I'm tired of this country forgetting about the middle class. Let's keep making it easier for the poor to stay poor. Tear that eye soar down and sell the property!

John said...

Now remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and apparently the last comment was written by someone with a different perspective.

When I look at Northport, I see a normal Elementary school that needs some improvements... Like we did for all the other district schools.

I would have preferred if Lakeview and Northport had been combined into a new building, but that was not in the cards...

As for moving the kids into the other schools... Would we really want to scare more self centered middle class families out of district ??? They seem to get nervous and run when the diversity increases... That would likely end poorly for the RAS communities.

John said...

I was short on time when I made my last post. So here is the completion.

I happily place myself in the self centered middle class category... I am satisfied with leaving my girls in schools with 20% to 40% poverty as long as they have access to the pre-AP and AP classes/crowds...

This is because I believe RAS success will become very difficult if many "good role model" students and donating/volunteering middle/upper class families leave. Therefore the schools will fail further, then more families will leave, the schools will fail further, then more familes will leave, etc, etc, etc. Then what happens to the community and the property values?

So I am happy to stay in RAS and fight for my community and all the kids to a point... Now, at what point do I put my own kids first and run to one those low stress homogeneous districts ??? It is a challenging and personal decision for each family. And many have already left as our shifting demographics show, so why would we risk pushing more people to their personal threshold.

With this in mind, how can we remaining middle/upper classers better support OUR schools that have more challenges? One simple way, become a fan !!!!