Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Problems with Blogger?

Since J, Laurie and Jason have reported having problems posting comments, is anyone else having problems? If so, is there any logic to it:

  • Only when you post with links?

  • Only when the posts are long?

  • Only at certain times during the day?

  • Only on a certain computer, operating system or browser?

  • Only when you are anonymous? Or logged in?

Now that I am officially earning a pittance for Google, I would be happy to ask them for assistance if we can narrow the problem down.


After challenges at other sites, I understand how frustrating it can be. (ie MNPublius/Disqus has me doing the same thing) Now, I try to make sure my links are solid, my comments are only a few paragraphs long and I wait for awhile after hitting post. Also, I simply post a few consecutive times when I feel the need to write a book.


As for Blogger, I have always been able to comment successfully. Even those I copy and paste from my notification email. So I'll need your help understanding what you are encountering.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Except for the 13th-post syndrome I mentioned yesterday, the only problem I have is when I fail to "choose an identity" before posting. I haven't had a problem with "post too long" in a long time, and easily avoided by the precaution of copy before posting.

Unknown said...

I believe I have trouble posting my long comments more often than when I manage to be brief. Lately I haven't been linking much so that is not the problem. I did just post a comment with a few links with no difficulty. When I have trouble I usually get a screen with a some kind of statement about an error or couldn't be published. Sometimes it seems to publish, but I later I see it really didn't take. I'll just take this as a sign that I need to be more succinct (starting next time I comment).

Anonymous said...

I lost a post yesterday and haven't had a chance to try to recreate it. It wasn't particularly long, no links. My normal anon username. I didn't know others were having the same issues. I normally do a quick copy/save before I hit post--I'll need to get back in the habit.

--Annie

John said...

Ladies,
What type of computer operating systems and browsers are you using?

Just curious.

John said...

Another Lesson Learned is that I always use the Preview button to check my comment when one is available. It shows me that I have an error, and yet gives me a way to get back to the edit mode to fix it.

When an error arises during posting, sometimes the system seems to spin out of control. Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

Other thing I've found is that, if I do get an actual error, the "back" button brings me back to the comment screen with my post still intact. Also, it sometimes seems to help to do a copy, then REFRESH the page before you post. The longer the post, the more this seems to help.

J. Ewing

John said...

Jason and I discussed this some at lunch. It reminded me that I should tell folks that if you are unable to comment regarding your problems with commenting.(now say that 3 times fast) Then please send me an email at give2get@live.com.

By the way, Jason is an Apple user... Though I won't hold it against him... It is a data point.

Unknown said...

I use windows vista and internet explorer. I always hit preview and that is more often when I have trouble. Using the back arrow doesn't work for me. If I didn't copy it first my comment cannot be retrieved by me.

Anonymous said...

I'm using Vista and Firefox.

J. Ewing