Monday, March 11, 2024

Humanity

When does a human become "human / sentient / get a soul"?

I had a long exchange of views with a Pro-Choice person who was adamant that abortions should be totally at the discretion of the Mother right up to full term.  To do otherwise was apparently a slippery slope towards the Handsmaid Tale. I disagree with her. 

I agree with the majority of Americans who think first trimester abortions are acceptable, and second trimesters are not. 

Personally, I would prefer to make birth control free and readily available so abortions would not be needed at all.

She kept trying to get me to explain why I believe ~15 weeks is human and 14.9 is not.  I acknowledged that I do not know the magic number and said that in a democracy, society gets to solve this.  That apparently was not a reasonable answer.

So I asked her the question noted above...  She was unwilling to answer me.

Why do the Left and Right have to be so inflexible / crazy? Thoughts?



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I trust people to make this decision, but maybe I am wrong. Maybe state legislators should make this decision. And I see a certain logic in this. I think the ability to pound lawn signs in the ground well, gives our state senators and representatives a special moral insight denied to the rest of us who don't even know their names.

--Hiram

John said...

I may trust most moms to make the correct decision...

Unfortunately there are mom's that make bad decisions due to addiction, mental illness, selfishness / immaturity, passion, etc.

I think society needs to provide some guard rails.

I mean we make it illegal to kill other people.
And I think we all know that murder is not a good choice...

Anonymous said...

Laws against abortion are hard to defend. That's why people shift to talking about laws relating to other things like "guard rails". I think guard rail, is exactly the sort of thing that the legislature should deal with, broadly speaking.

--Hiram

John said...

I think laws against some abortions are easy to defend...

Or do think we should get rid of child abuse laws also?

Anonymous said...

Late term abortions seem to be unpopular but as I understand it, late term abortions are performed because of catastrophic issues with the pregnancy. As a practical matter, if we actually did ban late term abortions, the procedure would be redefined in such a way that at least arguably the term "abortion" would not apply to it. In other words the change would be defintional, not substantive.

Byt pretending that abortion is a matter of semantics rather than health care, we are simply erecting arbitrary barriers to the practice of medicine. I don't see who gains by that. In the meantime, I don't see why these decisions should be made by lawyers and legsislators rather than the people actually involved.

--Hiram

John said...

Because societal norms and laws determine when a fetus attains rights as an individual human.

Not individual women and doctors.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever met a societal norm? Can you point to a case where a societal norm has had a crisis pregnancy?

--Hiram

John said...

So when do you think a fetues becomes a child?

Do you believe in the social norm and law that Parents must feed, care for and not harm their children?