Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Deep Portage

I just spent the last ~3 days practicing what I preach. I volunteered as a chaperon on a middle school trip to the Deep Portage Learning Center. This is a great opportunity for many of the kids to learn and experience a wide variety of things that they wouldn't in their normal "city" life.

There were ~100 6th grade kids, 4 teachers, 10 parent volunteers and the camp guides. Yes, imagine my daughter, 13 other kids, a guide and myself wandering the North woods. Some of the activities included survival training, archery, rock wall climbing, animal signs, etc. It was an incredible experience for me, and gave me a great opportunity to better understand the incredible rewards and challenges of working with such a diverse student body.

As always, get out there and volunteer. You will gain more than those you help !!!! Questions ?

Deep Portage web site

No comments: