Saturday, September 29, 2012

Support Fix the Debt Org

Usually when I get a politically inclined email at work from the the management, they are encouraging us to contact our legislators to pass a free trade or a transportation funding bill.  I am happy to be a good employee and help lobby for the free trade bills, since I believe in them.  However I tend to ignore the Transportation funding emails since I think everyone begging for more is part of our problem right now.

The latest email is one that I can truly get behind.  Our CEO is asking us to support the Fix the Debt organization.  It looks like a wonderful group who will likely get my signature on their petition and likely a donation.  Though it looks like their debt clock hasn't been updated for awhile on a few of their web pages.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The problem with Simpson-Bowles and all such plans is that they are far too timid and assume that tax increases are helpful in situations where there is a spending addiction. No action will be effective until the unfunded liabilities of Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and Obamacare are stanched. I therefore propose the very simple and instantly effective Ewing Plan. When the debt ceiling is reached just after the election (don't tell me that wasn't by political calculation), Congress should simply refuse, and then set about doing what everybody else in debt trouble would do: after cutting up the credit cards, figure out how to live within your means.

J. Ewing

John said...

I was thinking this may be the start of a good joke...

4 Economists walked into the bar, an Austrian (ie J), a Regular Economist (ie G2A) and 2 Keynesians (Hiram & Laurie)....

I am not sure where it would go from there.

Anonymous said...

Well, the question would be who pays, and with what? The Keynesians would offer credit cards-- one in somebody else's name and the other that's already maxed out-- the Austrian would offer to pay in gold if the barkeep could make change from a bar, and the regular economist would get stuck with the tab.

J.