Friday, November 20, 2009

Learning, Giving, Empathy, Rewards

As I have implied before, I have learned a lot in the last ~5 years. Mostly because I actually started "questioning what I knew was true". And really taking the time to weigh it against the "principles" I have chosen to live by. (see graphic to the right)

Before my renaissance, I was taking an Adult Psychology course during my MBA. Being self centered, my motive was to learn why older workers did not seem as driven in the work place and what I could do about it? (ie this frustrated me as a young workaholic Spvr) Ironically this was probably one of the events that started turning on the light. The Professor explained a couple of very memorable concepts:

  • "Older employees often get smart, and figure out that life is a lot more than working." They want to do a good job, however they want a full life. (Remember: time is growing shorter by the year...)

  • "Not all Old people are Wise." Many spend their lives "knowing" that what they have been taught/experienced in their "singular life experience" is the truth. (ie birth led to country, church, school, culture, friends, etc) By not questioning this randomly selected life and learning, they stay the same and do not grow wiser.

Now where is all this build up going... One of the most important lessons I have learned is the power of empathy. To truly make a difference, we must strive to see and feel the world from the perspective of those we disagree with, strive to help, or are buying gifts for.

I used to buy gifts for people using "my frame", which of course was my view of what was a good present. Now I strive to see the world from the recipient's perspective, therefore I buy a gift that makes them happier. Which therefore makes me happier and more fulfilled...

Here is a comment I left on Speed's post. What do you all think about this topic? And remember if you like this, have a your friends google give2attain. (ie more the merrier)

Though I understand the importance of intrinsic reward while volunteering. Shouldn't giving be about the recipient?

The question then is "Does reading "My Pet Goat" do it for the 6 yr old that has no one else reading with or listening to them?" Then if it does it for the 6 yr old, will it make a difference in their life? Therefore making a real difference.

My Favorite Quote from Successories:

"Priorities-A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."


One last note: Having true empathy does not mean you need to blindly give in or do things that violate your principles. It just helps you understand why others resist, and hopefully helps the both of you find a better common ground than each would find on their own. If something does not work for you, don't do it. Just work to understand the ramifications for the other party since they are humans just like us. (ie not "them", "they", "that type", etc.)

Deep Thoughts by G2A.....

3 comments:

Wants2know said...

I absolutely agree. It is when we lose ourselves in service to others that we benefit the most personally. It isn't about the immediate gratification of feeling like we did a good deed. It is the seeds we are sowing for future harvest.

Jon said...

On this issue, I recommend the movie "Ikiru".

Anonymous said...

In any event, working with older employees requires patience and effort, and a lot of companies don't think it's worth it. Especially these days, companies would prefer to replace them with younger workers.