Tuesday, December 22, 2009

96% or 4% ? My choice

Well folks, I have nearly the perfect life !!! In fact, I would say it is 96+% perfect !!! I mean I don't live in a mansion, vacation in Greece or have my choice of exotic sports cars. Then again what do they have to do with perfection and happiness???

Sometimes things happen or people frustrate me, and I get in a bad mood. At these times I often start focusing on the bad thing that happened, or the 4% that I don't have. (ie that I should have, by God...) Well, the reality is that negative thoughts beget negative thoughts, actions and behavior. Besides they make you feel miserable.

At these times I have learned to play a very simple game that I call the "Gratitude Game". The rules and process are simple, however playing the game well takes some practice because it requires controlling your thoughts and focus. All you need is a pen, a piece of paper and 10+ minutes of alone time. At which time you write as many people, things, experiences, etc that you truly appreciate in your life. Now this is not a good/bad list... Only the good things go on it.

Now your problems may not go away, however I guarantee you will be in a better state of mind to handle them. And for extra credit and even more positive energy, act quickly and tell those on your list how much you truly appreciate them or their actions !!!

John's Gratitude List: Wife, Daughters, Parents, Siblings/Families, Friends, Good Health of All, Career, Employed, Co-Workers, Good Schools, My Toys, Nice Home, Downhill Skiing, Pheasant Hunting, Dog, Cats, 2 wks off during the Holidays, Beer, Holiday Parties, Presents, Giving, Snow Storms, Snowmobiling, American Freedoms, Books, Blogging, Learning, Different Opinions, etc, etc, etc....

What are you thankful for? Will you remember to tell those that make a difference in your life, just how much you appreciate them or their actions? Remember: Do It NOW !!!

No comments: