Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Poverty and Policy

Well I am finally back from China and Mexico, and I feel miserable...  I caught a head cold on the way back from China that made my Mexico trip very exhausting.  On the upside, everything went well overall.

Matt took the MP Dayton Unbound discussion in an interesting direction and I finally replied to him.
"As the GOP has been such a ringing success on any level it gets to govern... Just say what you mean, you think poor people are inferior to you and yours, you believe poor people vote Democratic because they are stupid and like free stuff ergo any sane rational person HAS to be conservative. Never in all that supposition does the thought cross your mind that maybe, MAYBE people vote for liberal candidates because they believe the fundamental premise of conservatism is wrong. That by voting conservative all they would accomplish is to harm themselves and others so that a few can live free of any care in the world. But then that is the fundamental nature of belief, still holding something true even in the face of contradictory evidence." Matt

"I think both the far Left and far Right both doom poor people to stay poor.

The far Left wants to give them free stuff without expecting effort / improvements from them. The far Left prevents the Public School System, Government Bureaucrats and Union Employees from being held accountable for generations of academic failure and high costs that trap unlucky people in generational poverty.

The far Right denies that Unlucky people need a lot of help from the Lucky folk. They deny the difficulties of escaping poverty. They fight against birth control, abortion rights and other things that can save poor people from getting poorer when they do something irresponsible.

As for me thinking poor people are "inferior"... I disagree, some of my best friends are working poor. If anything I feel empathy for them after watching them starting to get ahead, then they will do something stupid that gets them fired, bankrupt, etc." G2A
I was going to expand on this, but I think I will see where this goes.  Thoughts?

G2A Why are Poor People Poor
G2A Responsible Parents

No comments: