Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Fun with COVID Numbers :-(

An "older than me" FB Friend posted a list of questions that a Grandma has before her Grand kids go back to school. Like if one child or teacher gets sick, what happens?  A COVID denier jumped in and said that it was a hoax.  So I did some math with the MN COVID Case / Death Numbers.
So due to my curiosity, I changed the MN data into more understandable numbers. 
With respect to questions above, most working age Teachers should be fine, though early retirement may be a good idea if they have any pre-existing health conditions. 
Almost all the kids will be fine, however you may want to keep them away from Grandma and Grandpa during the schools year. 
Of course if you are between 70 - 79.... 85 of you will make it but 15 of you will die... Sorry... 
Now since I am 54 and healthy... Should I wear my my mask when I can not social distance in an effort to stop the spread and protect you older folks? 
Or just say.... They are old anyway.... Maybe if they die earlier I can save the social security and medicare trust funds for me? 🙂 
By the way, the lives of you and my 80 year old Parents are worth the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask. 🙂

4 comments:

Drewbie said...

I realize you provided the data so I could see for myself, but I'd be nice to have the totals at the bottom as well.

John said...

Get out your calculator.... I did not save the spreadsheet... :-)

However I had a brilliant idea. I am going to research how many American's there are in each age group... Then upgrade the numbers.

Assuming 60% of each age group get the virus before we achieve herd immunity or a vaccine is available... And roughly 1% of them die.

I can estimate how many elders are doomed... Doomed I Say... :-)

Ball parking: 350,000,000 X 60% X 1% = 1.8 million dead.

Most to them are the elderly and infirm... We may save social security, medicare and social security disability yet... :-(

Their sacrifice will be remembered...

John said...

Look !!! It is working in TX

All those youngsters work somewhere... Some of them in old folks homes and maybe in the homes of older people... And the virus loves it when they transport it there... People with weaker immune systems...

Anonymous said...

You're only measuring cases and deaths. There's so much more to consider.

How can a disease with 1% mortality shut down the United States?

Moose