Friday, October 1, 2021

Me Me Me Me Me

Is that all people are concerned about?  I have been exchanging comments with some folks on FB who are skeptical and/or fearful of the COVID vaccines.  Some of their comments were:

  • I am not scared of the vaccine.
  • I am okay if I get COVID. My choice.
  • I may experience long term issues from vaccine.
  • I don't trust the main stream media.
  • I don't trust the CDC, Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins, State Reporting, etc
  • I am 99.7% likely to survive COVID
  • I should be free to do as I wish. Just lock up the "at risk" and elderly.
  • I should get excellent healthcare no matter what choices I make.

Below are some of my responses.  I am still curious how our society became so "ME" centered ???

---------------------------------------

 Personally I am not worried about the people who choose to remain unvaccinated. That is their choice and they will need to bear the consequences.

I am concerned that they are

- more likely to be virus carriers

- more likely to be hospitalized

- filling hospitals so they need to ration care

- torturing and burning out healthcare personnel with needless deaths

The simple reality is that COVID Delta is killing people and over whelming hospitals in the states where individuals chose to not get vaccinated. (as shown below) In fact, most of the last 100,000 dead were the unvaccinated.

Thankfully this wave seems to be cresting. Let's just hope the next one will be smaller, not bigger.

How do you think injecting a weakened or dead virus into you is going to kill people decades from now? We are exposed to viruses every day. Please explain. Thanks and stay safe. John

------------------------------------------

If by Main Stream Media, you mean the CDC, Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, State Case Reporting, etc. Then I am guilty as charged.

So would we have moved everyone with high risk factors into internment camps or something, along with everyone who was need to care for them? Somehow radiated the food and supplies that were delivered to those sites? Stopped people from visiting them? For how long?

It sounds like you support the FL method over the NY method. That test so far has cost a lot of lives. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward. (see below)

Please remember that I am an analyst, not a zealot. If people want to jump off bridges, ride motorcycles without a helmet, smoke a pack a day, drive drunk, text /drive or not get vaccinated.

I am fine with that, though I do not support other citizens suffering or dying because of those choices. In this case the non-vaccinated are still filling hospitals, exposing healthcare workers to unnecessary trauma, delaying treatments / surgeries for other citizens, subjecting their family to unnecessary trauma, etc.

Maybe unvaccinated people could sign a waiver that says "society shall not need to treat me for COVID if I start finding it hard to breathe"? Or "I will be financially liable if it is proven that I have infected others and caused their death"? Then they truly would bear the consequences of their choices.

I assume you think people should be held accountable when they choose to text/ drive or drink/drive, and harm others?

It is truly a worthy discussion to have and thank you for being so polite about it.

----------------------------------------

What source would you recommend for the other side?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The question I have been asking lately is "How come there are no grainy videos of George Mikan explaining why he wasn't getting vaccinated against polio? What changed?"

--Hiram

John said...

After WWII I assume people were still focused on doing what was best for America.

Now it seems most people are more worried about doing what is best for themselves.

It is a sad situation...

Anonymous said...

People are willing to what isn't best for themselves, if that will hurt other people.

--Hiram

John said...

As I often say... You really need to find a "Happiness Coach"...

Overall I think people are good. Unfortunately many seem prone to believing conspiracy theories and living in fear...

I am sure happy that I have few fears...

Anonymous said...

I think people are good. But in 1932, 37% of the German people voted for the Nazi's. Goodness among people has it's limits.

--Hiram

Anonymous said...

Our country is in a political and moral crisis. Our Supreme Court has three members who were willing to accept a lifetime appointment from Donald Trump. How can such a court not be considered morally compromised?

Justice Alito, just the other day, talked about criticism as a form of intimidation. Where did he get the idea that the Supreme Court was exempt from criticism? As for intimidation, it's pretty obvious that this guy never served on a school board. Unlike many school board members, not a single justice in the modern era has ever resigned from the court because of concerns about intimidation.

--Hiram

John said...

Actually it was the US Senate who gave those Justices their position.

John said...

And I think you are over simplifying how Hitler came to power and became a Dictator.

Anonymous said...

The fact that the senate approved Trump's choices doesn't speak well for the senate. It's why I am an advocate of senate reform. We need a senate that is more like it's English model, the House of Lords. Senators should be appointed for life, and the powers should be limited to the power to delay the enactment of legislation for three business days. That way the senate could resume it's highest role as the world's greatest deliberative body.

--Hiram

Anonymous said...

The story of Hitler's rise to power is complicated. But a key enabling factor was that the Weimar Constitution, just like our constitution allows minority rule. Every time I hear people argue that it is okay for people who lose the popular vote to win elections, I think of that 37% of the vote the Nazi's got in 1932. The vast majority of the German people were right, and it still didn't matter.

--Hiram

John said...

You may find this interesting


And NO we do not need anymore life time politicians... We have too many already, but at least they can be thrown out of office by the will of the people.