Monday, July 27, 2026

Accountability and the US Military

 I think the US Military should be held to a higher standard than Trump / Hegseth are operating at.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hegseth might respond that holding the military to a higher standard of some sort is hypocrisy. H We e might argue that the military is in the business of waging war, of killing people, and notion of standards is created to disguise that reality. We fight wars, and so we have a war department, a war budget, war fighters, because we are being honest enough not to distract people from that reality.--Hiram

John said...

Sounds like what a military dictator may say. I feel for our soldiers if they are captured, since we are no violating the rules of war

https://www.icrc.org/en/document/10-things-rules-of-war-Geneva-Conventions

John said...

"now violating"

Anonymous said...

I think modern partisanship has created a vacuum in our society. It has amplified the fact that it is so much easier not to do things than to do things. It's much easier to tear them down than build them up. Successful Republican government is based on the premise than people with different priorities and different views can work together to find solutions for the common good. That neessary foundation for our politics has broken down, and so the issue becomes finding a replacement. Tyranny has always been a popular choice in this scenario, and I think that is what we are flirting with now.

I am always disturbed by signs of disrespect for those of different views. I hope that in my commentary here over the years, I have never indicated disrespect for different opinions. There are people I don't respect, of course. Donald Trump comes to mind. But those are the exceptions, not I hope, the rule.==Hiram

John said...

Sometimes you waffle on positions, but you always seem to be respectful.

I am not so respectful of people who seem okay with those that lie, cheat, steal, and abuse the less powerful. :-O Unfortunately many MAGA supporters seem to fall into the category.

Anonymous said...

Now with "The Odyssey" selling out theaters, I am hoping for an interest in the classics, in particular the Peloponnese War, language from which figures in the Trump are paraphrasing. In particular the Melian Dialogue: "The powerful do what they like; the weak suffer what they must."==Hiram

John said...

What a real but sad concept.