I really wonder who believes anything Trump says now days.
Sunday, August 2, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Raising social involvement, self awareness and self improvement topics, because our communities are the sum of our personal beliefs, behaviors, action or inaction. Only "we" can improve our family, work place, school, city, country, etc.
20 comments:
No one I know is a Trump supporter. Not one person. This is a real problem for me in trying to understand how Trump supporters think, and how they react to what he says. Do they genuinely believe his lies? My opinion, based on no personal experience whatever, is that for the most part they don't believe what Trump says. I think they see it as posturing, or as an exercise in power. Am I projecting when I say that?==Hiram
My Father and Mother bleed Trump...
And yet my Father says he does not like to watch Trump give speeches because they strike the wrong nerve with him for some reason...
So my guess is that Trump supporters like my Parents want tax cuts no matter what, and they are happy that he is getting rid of the illegals, getting those transexuals out of sporters, killing that DEI stuff, etc.
And they have an incredible ability to deny Trump's total lack of character.
That is one of my biggest disconnects with my parent's now. For my whole life they drug or guilted me to go to church, and taught me that screwing other people is bad... And now they bow down to someone who's whole life is dedicated to those terrible non-Christian actions. :-O
I do have a sense, and this long predates Trump, that we can't do things anymore. I look around and see that we were once a country that could build things in the past, but can't do them now. We can't do things we all agree on like make affordable health care for all. For Republicans, the problem is that they elected good decent men, but who couldn't deliver on their promises. I am thinking here of abortion and other matters. I think the idea emerged that we needed a bad guy, a strong guy, someone willing to break the rules and get things done. This is a phenomenon well known from history. I think the constitution was written by men who were immersed in the history of Rome, where these themes play a huge part. And yes, I am projecting here. I do feel a need for the next Democrat to be ruthless too, to try to undo the damage done by this administration. I am well aware of the potential hypocrisy that will entail, because I will want the next Democrat president to violate the same norms I criticize Trump for violating. I don't think the country will ever be the same.==Hiram
At least it is never dull... Sometimes I miss the Sleepy Joe years...
I read an opinion piece today that proposed all official govt communication should be given by someone who has been sworn in:
"What if Jeanine Pirro had been under oath during her press conference?
The reason the government’s case fell apart is because Pirro had to code-switch. The case was brought under the rules of television, but had to be prosecuted under the rule of law.
And that’s the solution. We should replace the rules of television with the rule of law.
Here’s my proposal:
Every time a high-ranking government official—a U.S. attorney, a cabinet secretary, a president—interacts with the public in a formal setting, they should be sworn in. Press conferences should be treated like depositions. The rule of law should be attached to their statements.
If the legal system will not allow Jeanine Pirro to commit perjury in her court documents, why should our political system allow her to perjure herself freely in public statements? She is an officer of the court and a public servant. The same standards that bind her in legal communication should bind her in official public communication."
This is not a serious proposal. The writer likes to look at things in new ways and make sort of extreme proposals to make a point.
Laurie (I'm thinking of taking up commenting here again because I like reading 4 comment rather than hundreds.)
I am against limiting information. And I don't understand the point of saying info given by someone is not "official" makes a difference. What matters is whether the information is true or not, serves a public information not, not whether or not it is laveled "Official".
I resist criminalizing ordinary human activity. I am concerned that if officials give information are subject to perjury claims, they will refuse to give information.
Pirro's problem is that she is a bad lawyer, not necessarily a perjurer. The fact of her lying was proven, and wasn't that really enough. And the fact is, the fact that she did not commit perjury doesn't mean she isn't subject to sanctions, both from the courts and the various Bar association. I assume the basic reason she reversed her position is that she and the lawyers who worked for, did not want to put their law licenses at risk.==HIram
Laurie, I like that person's idea... :-)
Hiram, I really wish someone would hold these serial liars accountable.
Trump's lies are not the biggest problem with Trump. From the Atlantic: "Trump’s Irrationality Is Dangerous"
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/2026/08/trump-reflecting-pool-irrationality/688180/?gift=XT3hL6hZUvUpJzvHlb9_G3Oi49EdchMcjBCP1uvmel8&utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share
Laurie
Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) thinks he has an explanation for President Donald Trump’s stubborn aversion to the facts.
During a Sunday appearance on “Meet the Press,” the senator shared a theory about why he thinks the president is doubling down on his claim that the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool was damaged by vandals and not crumbling apart due to a rushed renovation job, as his own Justice Department admitted in a Friday court filing.
“The president says it was caused by vandals. I don’t know if he really believes that or it’s part of his political messaging or he’s just thinking out loud,” Kennedy mused to host Kristen Welker.
“He grows anxious when he has an unexpressed thought,” the senator went on.
I am with Kennedy on this one. I have no idea if Trump is irrattional or very rational... I mean he knows his followers seem to believe him no matter what he says. And he believes that apologizing for saying something that he was wrong on is a terrible sin....
So why not just keep doubling down on his conspiracy theories.
Especially with Liberals voting for DSA members and giving MAGA plenty of ammunition for the Fall.
I pray Angie Craig wins next week, but I am not holding my breath...
I will vote for Angie Craig. I think she will win. I think whichever one is on the ballot will win in November. I am not too sure about either of those predictions. I prefer Craig mainly because I think she has the better chance to win in the general election.
Laurie
Peggy being supported by the DSA folks may scare me off.
Her positions are a bit left of my comfort zone.
https://peggyflanagan.com/priorities/
The progressives and DSA senators will not get anything done, especially in the next 2 years. Even with a dem president in 2028 they will still get very little done.
In a few years we may want a Senate and president who can get things done. Lately, I have been reading a lot about AI and the changes it will bring, we will likely need politicians who can get things done. You should post once in a while about AI. I find that topic very interesting.
Laurie
I will give that some thought, though I do not know much about AI.
Many articles about AI (including this one) are quite lengthy. It is a little outdated (but not that much) and considers how AI will impact the workforce:
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/04/30/opinion/ai-labor-work-force-silicon-valley.html?unlocked_article_code=1.3VA.QGb5.lS6lQgnPASiX&smid=url-share
Read as much or little as your time and interest allows. I have also been looking for information about how AI will impact edcuation. I forsee lots of AI tutors.
Laurie
The problem with Trump is his thoughts, and the implementation of them, not whether he expresses them. And the fact is, I think the president thinkHirams very many things which he doesn't express.--
I don't think the senate will get things. It is and was intended to be an obstructive element in our politics.--Hiram
"Gaslighting" is an overused term, a cliche in my opinion. But sadly for the language, that's what Trump does or tries to do. He imposes or tries to impose his personal reality on things. So often this seems to work for him because of the strength of his personality and the fact that reality is often complex and not defined. What sometimes happen is simple and defined realities do sometimes occur, and that leaves Trump exposed. We see this in trivial issues like the reflecting pool, where nothing he can say can effectively contradict the reality of floating sealant. We see this in more important issues, where all the language in the world cannot undo the reality that the Strait of Hormuz is narrow.==Hiram
Agreed
Post a Comment