Tuesday, May 5, 2020

How High Will Death Toll Go?

FOX: Coronavirus death toll in US projected to double as restrictions ease, key model predicts
Apparently even FOX could not prevent the simple truth that increased social activity means more dead Americans.
Thankfully Menards made me buy and wear a mask while in their store yesterday.  Maybe that will become our new norm to protect store employees.  My previous solution was to just to stay away from people, shop quick, keep my mouth closed and breath through my nose...  But I am fine with the mask, though I really should invest in a cool skull one.
Now I have no problem talking about the trade offs here, but I have little time for those who say there is a "correct answer"...  In no specific order, here are the trade offs I have been discussing lately on FB:
  • Impact on personal freedom (ie enforced stay home orders, must wear masks, must wear gloves, cell phone tracking, etc)
  • Number of citizens that will experience significant illness or a terrible death.
  • Cost in lost revenues and debt incurred by our government. (ie burden on our kids)
  • Number of citizens driven to poverty, depression, hunger, death, etc.
  • Number of citizens to die due to delayed healthcare.
  • Etc
The reality is that there are consequences to every course of action.  The current path has cost America ~$5,000,000,000,000 in borrowing and lost revenues. That means we are spending in excess of $5,000,000 to save each potential victim.  Would you spend that on an 80 year old to give him a new heart?  Or would you send that money elsewhere?  
This is about looking at the data, evaluating the options, making hard decisions and taking hard action.  There is NO GREAT path, just less bad ones.  People will die, money will be spent, debt will be accrued, etc.
Here is an interesting piece regarding how important things did not happen in April.  I mean if you think about it, Trump and crew seemed pretty interested in the economy and assigning blame instead of focusing on the solution.  I wonder if other GOPers will be willing to consider cutting him loose now that his luck has run out?