Saturday, May 23, 2020

Who Pays the Bills

if Churches Open and Folks get Sick?

A FB friend triggered that thought with that link.  I mean:

  • Churches, Mosques and Synagogues do not pay taxes.
  • They host a mixed age group with more older people.
  • The services are often held in doors.
  • They often sing, speak, etc at and with each other.
  • Many of the people wanting them open are against wearing masks.

So we have a "special interest group" who wants to open in essence the perfect transmission space for the virus.  And I am fine with them doing so, however as a fiscal conservative I want to know if they are willing to pay the healthcare bills (ie medicaid, medicare, etc) and contact tracing bills for their members who get COVID in that environment?

Now please remember that I am a Church member and they are still taking my monthly offering out of my checking account.  They are still fulfilling their essential duties, except just not in chapel services.  So why exactly is this a big deal to folks ?  I am assuming it is just a political thing and Trump knows how to wind up his True Believers.

And yes there is a risk of transmission at the big box stores, however they generate a TON of MONEY in Sales taxes, Property taxes, Corporate taxes, etc.  And I do not see people gathering to sign hymns, chat, etc in aisle 6... :-)

COVID Moving into Trump Country
Minnesotans: 550 in Hospital, ~25 dying each day

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

In general, I would note that those providing essential services are in no way relieved of their obligation to provide them in a safe manner.

--Hiram

John said...

Agreed.

Apparently an agreement was reached

John said...

Minnpost version of the agreement

Anonymous said...

Catholicism, in various ways, is more physical than other religions. This is why social distancing rules hit Catholics particularly hard in ways people of other faiths or no faith at all can find hard to understand.

--Hiram

John said...

It is Summer in MN and our church would be pretty empty anyway...

That is why they love offerings via electronic transfer... I haven't been there for many months but my offering makes it there the first of every month. :-)

Anonymous said...

Most of what I know about epidemiology comes from the movie "Contagion". I do have a better feel for the politics of epidemiology, however. What I know is that lock downs are hard to impose and easy to lift. This goes to a basic rule of life and science which is "Easy things are much more likely to happen than hard things, and that is independent of the relative merits between the two."

I do not know whether this is the right time to lift the lock down. I did not go to epidemiology school. But I am sure, as sure as I am of the turning of the Earth, that politicians who are just as ignorant as I am about these life and death issues, will come under enormous pressure to life the lock down earlier rather than later for reasons that have nothing to do with the safety of the people they represent.

--Hiram

John said...

I think this is a real hard thing to measure and forecast...

"safety of the people"

Since both course of action are causing illness and deaths...

Anonymous said...

I think this is a real hard thing to measure and forecast..

Sure. Because something is hard to measure and forecast is, for many people, a reason for doing nothing. But just because the future is hard to predict, doesn't mean it won't happen.

The Kentucky Derby can be hard to forecast, but they still have it every year.

--Hiram