Thursday, March 8, 2012

Feed My Starving Children ROCKS !!!

I have had a link to the Feeding My Starving Children site for years, since I occasionally donated to them and the other members of my family had had a great time packaging food there at times.  Well last night I got to actually experience it first hand and thought it was an incredible experience.  Of course, I was dissecting their methods, meaning, technique, efficiencies, ergonomics, etc in my normal analytical way. (I am such a loser...)

The opportunity arose because my church volunteered and was approved as a MobilePack site. (MP Events List)  Therefore it worked out as a convenient way for us to volunteer as a family. That was the most fascinating thing about it, the dozens and dozens of kids actually LOVED doing it.  Therefore they learned that volunteering is important, that it can be fun and that it can be immensely fulfilling to their soul.

As for my duties, I was the guy that scooped the bulk materials into the table sized containers.  So this morning I have found many muscles that I apparently don't use during my normal exercise routine of holding down a chair...

So make some time right now and sign up for a session your community, it will do wonders for others, yourself and your family!!!   Thoughts?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The real brilliance of that organization is fundraising from the volunteers. I find myself persuaded to give donation quite a bit more generous than what is typical for me.

John said...

That was one of the things I thought was brilliant. I can ignore the charity commercials with starving children with relative ease by just changing the channel. Yet for this I will happily pay $100 to spend 2 hours working my butt off.

It would likely be much cheaper to have a huge automated system filling the bags, yet where would the donations and passion come from.

Very cool, practical and effective.

Anonymous said...

Lots of opportunity for charity out there, a similar one of mine is Operation Classroom. I can't help but think, though, how much more generous I could be if I didn't pay so much in taxes to "care for the poor."

J. Ewing

John said...

Operation Classroom

African Poor Children said...

Help Poor African Children! Kilifikids.org is a non-profit organization that works to help poor starving African children. Kilifikids community health workers support in building bright future for children in Kilifi, Kenya.