Wednesday, May 24, 2017

AHCA Scoring and ACA Options

From a previous comment, Sean's ACA Improvement plan.

"No. I think you can make some changes to the ACA to make it work much better. Here are four such changes that could make an impact right away:

  • I would extend the subsidies beyond their current cutoff point to limit some of the impact on those who are being impacted by the rising individual market premiums. The current cutoff point is around $90,000 income for a family of 4, I would extend that up to $250,000 with the subsidies having less value the further you move up the scale.
  • I would increase penalties on those who choose to go uninsured, or alternatively, institute automatic enrollment in Medicaid or a public option (see below).
  • I would institute a public option (allow people to buy into Medicaid or Medicare) at first in areas where there is only one private insurance option and to cover those who don't purchase insurance on their own if automatic enrollment were selected.
  • I would reinstate risk corridor payments in areas where there are low amounts of competition. "
And here is Moose's thought.

"Liberals aren't the ones working to take away health insurance from 51 million people in the next 10 years."
CBO AHCA Score
NPR AHCA CBO Score
CNN CBO Gift to DEMs


Now Sean and I are actually somewhat aligned on this though I do not like the "tax the rich" technique of paying for it. And I am not sure it would be a good idea if the subsidy from the tax payers exceeded what companies pay there employees.


I mean just think of the strange warped twist...  The companies and all employees pay extra for their health insurance and the money is given to the self insured.  Thoughts?



No comments: