Saturday, November 4, 2017

China Thoughts / Pics

Well, I have been on the road for a week and have made it to the Courtyard Marriott in Pangyo Korea. And even better yet, I get to stay here for 2 whole nights and have today to catch up on everything. (ie rest, work, blog, etc) By the way, this "office" does have a nice view !!! (remember: if you pick the picture it will enlarge) And here is map of my adventure.

My first thought was would the Light Rail / High Speed Rail folks support China's solution of elevating the whole darned thing? Whether it is in the country or the city... Just think: no worrying about pedestrians, cars, etc. Maybe that is what we should do with the SW corridor? I wonder how many law suits that would trigger in the USA. Also, please note that electric powered transportation solutions are great except they require transmission lines to get the power there.


Now I have complimented the roadways in China cities many times. They are clean and have maintained plants everywhere. And this work apparently creates a lot of low skill / low knowledge jobs. This is the first I have noticed in Tianjin and Bejing they are actually building covers to protect the hundreds of miles of plants in the medians during the winter.

And everyone in the USA should be thankful that squat toilets never caught on in the states. Especially the ones where you are in essence hovering over a sewage trough with no water trap to prevent the gases / smells from coming back into the room. When I got to Korea they had these useful instructions for people who have not used a western toilet. :-)

Now for bikes and scooters, there are many of them here and many are going electric. (be careful: they are very quiet...) However apparently high tech bike rentals are becoming a problem in the cities. Rental companies are flooding the streets with them, not maintaining them adequately and they end up with lots full of them in the wrong place. So the cities are confiscating them by the thousands... By the way, here is a typical scooter parking area.

By the way, most of the China hotels have been in very urban areas that make New York looks small and rural... :-) However here is the view from my Hilton up in the Hangzhou lake country. It made for a very nice change for the few hours I was there and awake to appreciate it.

Now that I am in Korea I thought maybe some of the building construction would be slower, but I was greeted by the usual Asian city scene. Cities building hundreds of apartment and office buildings simultaneously. It is almost impossible to comprehend. Just imaging building the whole Minneapolis downtown each year... And this was happening in every city I visited.

No comments: