Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Use BMI with Care

On a much lighter topic... Or maybe heavier... :-)


Personally I like referencing the BMI chart, it is an easy and pretty accurate tool for the majority of people.  However the linked pieces do cover some exceptions that every one should be aware of.


Unfortunately even after losing 10+ lbs I am still at ~27 and unlikely to ever get back to a 25.  At 6" I would need to get down to ~185 Lbs.  I think I am pretty comfortable in the 195 to 200 range.


CNN: Calling BS on BMI
HN Using BMI Chart (chart below from there, touch to increase size)



1 comment:

jerrye92002 said...

I've never believed those charts. I have lost some 60 pounds and am now pretty "trim," at about what I weighed years ago when I graduated college. This BMI chart tells me I need to lose ANOTHER 60 pounds to be healthy and I haven't weighed that little since I was 12 years old (and 6" shorter), and I was not a chubby child.

Just for grins, I remember seeing Wilt Chamberlain play basketball and was amazed at the weight that "skinny as a rail" guy carried on his 7'1" frame. Checking the chart, he goes from somewhere between moderately "overweight" and "obese" (depending on where in his career you calculate). It's ridiculous. The water test, where they dunk you and check your total volume against your weight, is the best test. As I always say, "I don't care what I weigh, but I care about how much space I take up doing it."