Thursday, August 19, 2021

Can the Taliban Play Nice?

Religion vs Pragmatism.

That is an interesting piece that explains that it is much easier to be the rebels / insurgents, than to be the people responsible for the function of a country... :-O 

I wonder how many of the Taliban Leaders are now saying... Now what?

I highly doubt that they are as truly religiously devout as they claim.  I mean they are people and people are often driven by a desire for money, power, security, sex, etc...

So will they choose to stay the leaders of a small dysfunctional country, or will they work in pragmatic ways to play by international standards so they can gain more money, power, security, sex, etc...?

Especially since I am sure the USA will not hesitate to blow up any terrorist camps formed on their contested soil.

3 comments:

John said...

Russia's Gain?

Anonymous said...

I think the leadership is capable of saying things that ease some concerns. Whether they have the ability to follow through is another question.

--Hiram

John said...

That is somewhat I was thinking...

I do not see the Taliban as a highly structured or controlled organization.

More like a hundred loosely affiliated tribes...