Tuesday, September 18, 2018

The Korean Meeting

VOX:  5 powerful images from Kim Jong Un’s historic meeting with South Korea’s president Hugs, flowers, and standing ovations marked the first day of the Pyongyang summit.

I had lunch with 5 gentlemen from South Korea today, so I found the above article interesting. In summary, the gentlemen would like peace to prevail on the peninsula for good reason. They seemed pretty confident that Kim Jong Un wants that also, and trusted in Moon Jae-in's ability to broker the peace.

I am less hopeful that this time will be different from the past attempts. However they told me that Kim Jong Un is different from his father due to the years he spent in the west

They also seemed interested in re-unifying South and North Korea at some point in the future.  Being the joker I am...  I told them that I was pretty sure Kim Jong Un would happily take over ruling a combined Korea if they let him. 😁 They did not seem to think that was a good idea.


Well I am praying that they are correct and I am incorrect.  Peace on the Korean peninsula would be a very good thing for everyone.

Here are a couple more recent pieces
BBC South Korea's Moon Jae-in: Caught between Trump and Kim

NBC North Korea is still making nukes, and the Trump admin is taking a harder lineThe newest intelligence shows Kim’s regime has stepped up efforts to hide its nuclear weapons production, say three senior U.S. officials.