Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Do People Want News?


Two older Conservatives linked to this on FB. I found this odd given that most Conservatives I know seem to dislike news, data, facts, etc. They seem to thrive on the FOX talking heads, Rush Limbaugh, Prager U, etc.  And they seem to work hard at not fact checking Trump.

I spend most of my time reading the sources that are closer to the center. Usually I find that they:

  • give more facts and less opinion
  • if they have speakers, they have one from both tribes
When I look at sources from the far left or far right. I try to read them very critically by considering:
  • what is their agenda?
  • do they provide real data?
  • do their assumptions make sense?
  • do they use absolutes like all, none, always, never, etc?
So do we want news? Or do we want to hear people confirm our perception of reality?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought of CBS News as the embodiment of the liberalism of that era. It was the network of Edward R Murrow, the network which broadcast from the rooftops of London during the Blitz, the network that took on Joe McCarthy, and broadcast "Harvest of Shame". In the Vietnam era it was the network of Morley Safer and Ed Bradley. Ultimately, it was the network on which Walter Cronkite broadcast his famous editorial against the Vietnam War, something no network anchor would have the courage to do today. I don't think any network had more of it's reporters on Richard Nixon's enemies list. And I think it's fair to say, when media bias talking point began to be developed by the right, by people like Nixon and Spiro Agnew, it was CBS News, along with the New York Times, that were the targets of their attacks.

--Hiram

John said...

It seems to me that older Conservatives yearn for some "idyllic past" where things were "better".

And like all of us they seem to be able to block out all the chaos and discord that existed in those old days.

What I was fascinated by was that I am pretty sure they see the main stream media as the "non-news" / "opinion" / "fake news" people. When I struggle to get any real news out of the Far Left and Far Right outlets.

From the Political Compass Test:

"There is a worrying fusion of information and entertainment."

And I think folks have real hard time telling the difference. :-)

John said...

When Molly asked me to review this from Townhall.

Did she see it as "News and Information"?

Or did she accept that it was just a Conservative giving his Opinion to entertain and get a pay check?

John said...

Along those lines. Does post any real news or is it all opinion pieces?

I mean they are pretty clear about themselves.

"Townhall.com - the Leading Conservative and Political Opinion Website

Townhall.com is the #1 conservative website. Townhall.com pulls together political commentary and analysis from over 100 leading columnists and opinion leaders, research from 100 partner organizations, conservative talk-radio and a community of millions of grassroots conservatives.

Townhall.com is designed to amplify those conservative voices in America's political debates."

Anonymous said...

The chart on news media bias categories is much more accurate than the ones I have run across in the past. In my opinion.
Molly

John said...

Agreed. I was happy when I found AllSides. :-)