Sunday, September 15, 2019

Where do the Beggars Come From?

A few years ago something changed in my neighborhood...  We started getting a steady stream of new and different beggars near the off ramps of 494 and Rockford road.

I have to wonder if there is a bus driving these pan handlers around or what?

The reason I say this is because the beggar changes daily. Sometimes a woman in a wheel chair, the next day an older gentleman, the next day a younger guy, etc...  Now if it was my local poor neighbors I would assume I would often see the same person or people...

And apparently these supposed poor can make some good cash in the burbs.  Here is an interesting Reddit discussing on how much "they can earn".  Here is a Brooklyn Park story.

I sure wish people would STOP giving to these folks...  If you want to help then give your money to organizations that help the insane, homeless, addicted, etc.  Thoughts?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Give to a charity that is set up to help those who are truly in need. Then you know your contribution is being put to good use.
Molly

John said...

It is hard to believe there are enough idiots in the world who will pay them ~$300 / day tax free to sit there begging... :-(

Anonymous said...

I don't know. Sounds like Capitalism to me.

Moose

John said...

That is true, they are canny business people...

The beggar business person knows that people driving by will pay them to lessen their guilt that the beggar business person created by standing there...

It is quite a feat of creating a market and making money off it. :-(

John said...

Now who do you think the "customers" are?

What type of people would strive to buy down their guilt and enable these con artists?