Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Will Power Or Attitudes / Planning

This VOX article does an excellent job of discussing the combination of habits, planning, focus, attitude, and even genetics that can help people to be successful
"In a specific situation, sure, you can muster willpower to save yourself from falling back into a bad habit. But relying on willpower alone to accomplish goals “is almost like relying on emergency brake when you are driving your car,” Saunders says. “You should focus on things that drive you toward your goals rather than stopping things that are in your way.” What’s more, the human “emergency brake” that is willpower is bound to fail in some instances, causing you to crash.

And it’s time we all took these lessons to heart. Focusing on failures of willpower leads to shame, both public and private, and holds back our curiosity from finding and enacting solutions that actually work. " VOX Why Willpower is Overrated
One small example of how I have used this is in the area of French fries. I love McDonalds fries and used to eat quite a few of them.  To pretty much eliminate my temptation to eat them I chose to focus on what they are.. Oil, carbs, starch and salt...  In other words absolutely useless to harmful food that works to defeat my bigger goal of being healthier.


Along with this I focused on everything I like about salads, vegetables, etc.  Therefore going to the salad bar instead of the grill station in the cafeteria is pretty easy and requires little will power.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you see this in Trump. He drives through obstacles. Very often the problem is how to stop such individuals.

—Hiram

John said...

Do you prefer that people give up whenever the going gets tough?

Anonymous said...

The Trump’s of the world succeeed partly because they wer people down. So many of the people he burns just feel he isn’t worth the trouble and go elsewhere. I don’t seee anything inherently admirable about that style or the folks who employ it. Trump is an anti mensch.

—Hitam

jerrye92002 said...

Doesn't it require more will power to order a small fries rather than a large? And isn't that a more successful plan, since you aren't "denying" yourself something that, taken in moderation, is a pleasant part of life? If you really like salad, have salad. When I have salad I don't pat myself on the back for "taking my medicine." I really want a salad. I have long subscribed to the theory/old wive's tale that your body will tell you what it needs for you to eat; you need to listen.

John said...

Jerry,
Given the Obesity Rate Trends in the USA I think more people need to learn good techniques to supplement their will power and "just say NO" to their body's urges.

And given the Costs of Obesity with regard to healthcare hopefully they learn sooner than later.

John said...

At ~200 Lbs and 6 feet tall I am over weight, but I feel a lot better than when I weighed 214 lbs.

I can not imagine how I would feel if I weighed in at 230+ Lbs... (ie obese)

jerrye92002 said...

I could probably tell you. I've lost about 60 lbs. since starting my simple "eat what you want, but less" diet. Eat what you want when you're hungry, and quit eating as soon as you're not hungry. Most of the rest of it is nervous eating, bored eating, habit eating, or gluttony. (One of the Seven Deadly, you know.)

John said...

I am happy your system is working for you.

I keep nuts, cheerios, and bananas around to fulfill any snacking reqts...

jerrye92002 said...

Interesting. I had to give up the cheerios and bananas for breakfast; it was simply too many calories all at once. Bacon and eggs seem to be healthier. Nuts are good snacks, and a few go a long way, but I try to severely limit snacks since they /tend/ to constitute bored, nervous, habit or gluttonous eating, not something the body craves.