Thursday, October 18, 2018

What to Do about Saudi Arabia?

Sean and I have been disagreeing here about what actions the USA should take with regard to Saudi Arabia and their actions / potential actions.  He wants immediate actions (freeze military contracts, other?) where as I am much more...  Whatever...

I have been pondering why I am so indifferent to this terrible execution...  Here are some of the things I have come up with:
  • Too many spy movies where someone is brutalized and killed...  I mean 7 minutes from start to death...  He either talked too fast or they did not really want any answers.  I am still waiting for the Turks to release the tape if they really have one.
  • This nothing compared to what women had to put up with in Afghanistan and many of the Liberals would not have lifted a finger to help them.
  • This nothing compared to what 10's of thousands of Iraqi citizens had to put up with in Iraq and many of the Liberals would not have lifted a finger to help them.
  • China controls and "re-educates" far more citizens and the American consumers (including peace loving Liberals) do not blink an eye at supporting them to save a few bucks.
  • We know Saudi Arabia is a harsh controlling force in the Middle East, and after decades of Arab Spring chaos, torture and death... Maybe that is the kind of government they need to stay safe.
  • Saudi Arabia is opposing force to Iran in the region...  And compared to Iran they are stable lovable rational teddy bears...
  • Saudi Arabia will buy their weapons from somewhere, why should high paid American workers suffer to assuage our collective conscience. 
Now Sean called me on my G2A Principles...  The challenge is that those are MY guiding principles on how I should live my life. And since I am a tolerant accepting person who usual respects the beliefs and behaviors of others, I am not sure judging people from another country with problems I can only imagine fits into this.

Now what do I think does warrant a response by the USA:
  • If our "partners" lie to us...
  • So hopefully they finish their investigation, come clean about what happened and execute some people.
Thoughts?

3 comments:

John said...

Here is a relevant opinion piece.

NYT: A President Kowtowing to a Mad Prince

And then we have our obnoxious POTUS annoying a lot of people again.
Trump praises U.S. congressman from Montana who body-slammed reporter

The Deomocratic POTUS candidate in 2020 will have to be real bad to convince me to vote for him again... The man is not what a POTUS should be... :-(

Sean said...

"This nothing compared to what women had to put up with in Afghanistan and many of the Liberals would not have lifted a finger to help them."

You've said this bullshit before, John. Let me correct the record again. Congressional Democrats voted 255-1 (House and Senate combined) in favor of the war in Afghanistan.

Again, I'd be happy to discuss my actual position on these issues. If you want to debate against strawmen, feel free to proceed without my participation.

John said...

Would do, but I am going out west for the weekend. Hopefully little to no computer time.

Have a great weekend !!!

By the way, please note that I did not say DEMs... I don’t think....